Pages

Tuesday, December 29

oh, books..

Of all the beautiful and wonderful things the Lord has blessed me with, He has swept me off my feet with His provision of the written word and my love for it. One of my greatest joys is reading and books are one of the keys to my heart.

Here are some intriguing quotes I have come across that express my thoughts on the subject, written by those whose gift with words exceed my own...


I've traveled the world twice over,
Met the famous; saints and sinners,
Poets and artists, kings and queens,
Old stars and hopeful beginners,
I've been where no-one's been before,
Learned secrets from writers and cooks
All with one library ticket
To the wonderful world of books.
~ Anonymous ~

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man
far better than through mortal friends.
~ Dawn Adams ~

Books are the legacies that a great genius leaves to
mankind, which are delivered down from generation to
generation as presents to the posterity of those who are yet unborn,
~ Joseph Addison ~

Of all the diversions of life, there is none so proper to fill up
its empty spaces as the reading of useful and entertaining authors.
~ Joseph Addison ~

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.
~ Mortimer J. Adler ~

That is a good book which is opened with
expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~

When I look back, I am so impressed again
with the life-giving power of literature.
If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of
myself in the world, I would do that again by reading,
just as I did when I was young.
~ Maya Angelou ~

Books are not made for furniture,
but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~

Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~

When we read a story, we inhabit it.
The covers of the book are like a roof and four walls.
What is to happen next will take place within the four walls of the story.
And this is possible because the story's voice makes everything its own.
~ John Berger ~

In books lies the soul of the whole past time.
~ Thomas Carlyle ~

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.
~ Chinese proverb ~

There is an art of reading, as well as an art of thinking,
and an art of writing.
~ Isaac Disraeli ~

Tis the good reader that makes the good book;
a good head cannot read amiss:
in every book he finds passages which seem confidences
or asides hidden from all else and unmistakably meant for his ear.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~


...and I will leave you with what is perhaps my favorite...

To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something beautiful,
ready always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry.
~ Gaston Bachelard ~


No comments:

Post a Comment

if you want to, you can say a little hello here. i wouldn't mind it at all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails